Preparation time approx. 15 Minutes
Share this article…
For the Chickpeas
- 2tbsp Ghee or coconut oil
- 400g its of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tsp gram masala
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 225g halloumi, cut into small cubes
- 2tsp maple syrup
- Sea salt
For the Salad
- A little diced red onion or chopped spring onions
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed and roughly grated
- 1 handful of diced ripe tomatoes
For the Cashew, Coriander and Mint Dressing
- Tbsp cashews or other nuts
- 4 handfuls of fresh coriander
- 2 small handfuls of fresh mint leaves
- 2 fresh green chilli, descended if you prefer, chopped or a good pinch of chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Juice of 3 limes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat up a large frying pan and toast the cashews for the chutney on medium heat for 3-4 minutes, tossing halfway through, until lightly golden, then tip all of them into the small bowl of a food processor and save the rest for garnishing.
2. Put the pan back on the heat, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of the ghee and fry the chickpeas (making sure they are dried well in a tea towel before so they don’t pit in the hot oil) on medium heat for 4 minutes with half of the spices and a pinch of salt, stirring every now and then. Tip into a bowl, scraping out the delicious bits from the bottom of the pan as you go.
3. While the chickpeas are frying, add all the other chutney ingredients to the food processor – saving a few herbs for garnishing, if you like – along with about 2 tablespoons of water, then blend together, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Put the pan back on the heat with the rest of the ghee and, when melted fry the halloumi on medium heat for about 2 minutes on the first side (keep the pieces of halloumi spaced out) and then turn, sprinkle over the rest of the spices and fry for about 1 minute on the other side until lightly golden brown and crispy at the edges. Straight away add the fried chickpeas and the maple syrup, then toss together with the halloumi and fry the 30 seconds so that the chickpeas warm through and the maple syrup bubbles and thickens. Scatter the chickpeas over the bowls of salad with the halloumi on top, drizzle over half of the chutney, and top with the remaining nuts.
Please note this recipe contains nuts.
Share this article…