Makes 12 large muffins
Share this article…
- 30g unsalted butter, plus extra (optional) for greasing
- 3 medium very ripe bananas (about 500g) peeled
- 4 eggs
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed and roughly grated (about 80g)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp lemon or orange juice and a little grated zest
- 200g ground almonds
- 25g ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp raisins or chopped dried fruit
- 3 tbsp seeds or chopped nuts
- 12 fresh berries (such as raspberries – optional)
1. Very ripe soft bananas work best for these, but if your bananas are just ripe and not soft then you may need to add another tablespoon of maple syrup. These are breakfast muffins, so are just a touch sweet.
2. Preheat the oven to fan 180 C/Gas mark 6 either grease a 12-hole muffin tray with butter or line with paper cases.
3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and, as soon as it has melted take off the heat and allow to cool highly so it doesn’t scramble the eggs.
4. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas to a pulp with a fork. Push them to one side, crack the eggs into the empty part of the bowl and whisk well with the fork.
5. Add the carrot, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and lemon/orange juice and zest. Mix tougher with the fork and then add the melted butter.
6. Add the ground almonds, ground flaxseed, raisins or dried fruit and most of the seeds or nuts, and mix well; Divide the batter between the greased or lined moulds of the muffin tray and scatter over the rest of the seeds or nuts. If using fresh berries pop the on top now and press slightly.
7. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. If your muffins are getting very browned after 20 minutes then lower the heat to fan 170c/gas mark 5. If using fresh berries, these muffins may need 3-5 minutes extra.
8. Remove the muffins from the oven and leave to cool in the tray for 10-15 minutes before lifting out of the tray and transferring to a wire rack to cool down completely before enjoying.
Please note this recipe contains nuts.
Share this article…